Sunday, November 1, 2009

for such a time as this

Do you ever wonder why God puts you in the place in your life where you are in?

I've always believed God had a purpose for my life. That He would open the doors where He wanted me to enter, and close the doors that were not His will. When I went away to college, it was because God opened the right doors for me to go. It was while I was in college that I went to Mexico, and studied Spanish. In 1986, my aunt found a little tiny ad in the Press for a bilingual receptionist. I went in for an interview and the lawyer hired me. That led to a career as a legal secretary.

I quit a job I loved to be a stay at home mom. I don't regret those years with my kids. I had the opportunity to nurture them and be involved in their school functions. When they were were a little older, I stepped out into the working world again on what became a long and difficult road. I struggled to find the perfect job. I tried secretarial work, since that was what I knew. I battled issues with day care, sick children, and my own health. I gave up several times, and there were periods in my life where I didn't work outside the home.

During those years, I wrote and wrote. I finished several novels, and tried to get them published. One series I really believed in was my historical series, the Legacy of Courage. I had sent it in to a publisher, and was awaiting a response. Finances were tight. We needed a breakthrough in our lives. I put out the fleece. If I don't get a "yes" response from a publisher by April 1st, I was going to get a job.

On March 31, I happened to be in the grocery store and saw a help wanted ad. The store was pleasant and close to home, so I put in my application. I got a call a couple of days later, and the deli and bakery manager hired me. I started work on April 4. Instead of becoming a published author, I was now an employee in the deli.

And do you know what? I liked the job. It was a good fit for me. And I liked the people I worked with. I am still there, two and a half years later. The job is full-time now. I cook and bake, and wait on customers, and it's a satisfying position. The money helps with our family finances. I still have health issues that I struggle with, but my boss has been understanding. The kids are older now and I don't have problems with day care. It's close to home, so I'm able to make it there even when the weather is bad (well, most of the time, but that is a story best left for another day.)

Sometimes God puts us in a place where we least expect it. Doors we want to open, close in our faces, and other doors open that take us out of our comfort zone. With faith, we take God's hand and walk through the door that He opens for us, into the place where He wants us to be. And we find joy and unexpected blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment